To celebrate Earth Day, the Nuclear Literacy Project is excited to introduce a nuclear themed meme-making competition. We are inviting individuals, groups, clubs, organizations and corporations to create and submit homemade Internet memes inspired by the intersections of nuclear energy, the environment and social justice.
We will collect all of the memes shared under the hashtag #Atoms4Earth. The memes will be judged based on the quality of the image and message, as well as viral reach on the web. Each week a different guest judge will choose their favorite meme and the winner will be announced on the Nuclear Literacy Project blog (nuclearliteracy.org/). The winners will each receive a prize courtesy of AREVA (thanks AREVA, y’all are awesome!). Prizes will be super cool atomic inspired artwork or wearables. The grand prizewinner will be announced on Earth Day (4/22/2014).
We urge participants to create inspiring, humorous and educational memes. Environmentally and human focused imagery and messaging are also appropriate for the Earth Day meme theme. When the memes are placed online, they should be linked to the science that supports the message and the creators should be acknowledged- along with the hash tag #Atoms4Earth, so we can easily find your work!
More on Internet Memes
“What exactly is an Internet meme?” you may be wondering …
An Internet meme is a simple image paired with a simple message, designed for travel on the web. A single meme can quickly reach thousands upon thousands of individuals through social media. Memes are also often linked to an article or study that supports their message.
Please only use open source imagery or imagery that you have permission to use. There are hosts of tools for free online. You can use one of our images to get started:
SO! In short, here’s what to do:
1) Find a great image. Create a cool message. Make your meme!
2) Tweet it to us under the hashtag #Atoms4Earth, or post to our Facebook page, along with your name and affiliation, if you are representing a group or company.
3) Share your meme with all of your friends on social media & we will too!
4) Wait for the following Tuesday to find out if you’ve won the weekly prize! Winners will be announced on Twitter and Facebook.
5) Check back in on Earth Day to see if you’ve won the grand prize
Good Luck and Happy (almost) Earth Day!!